Monday, January 9, 2012

Reading: Philosophy and Economics

Today is Monday, a slow day indeed for many people. Which should never be the case since beginnings usually determine a majority of endings.

The Social Contract

That said, I have been on a reading binge since late last week. In addition to the two novels I am still reading, my friend suggested a great book: The Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

It so happens that Jean-Jacques Rousseau is widely quoted. In fact, the Danielle character was inspired by Rousseau in my favorite TV Show, LOST.

Reading philosophical texts is invariably a pleasure for me. When I was in college, I enjoyed reading The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. My favorite quote from that book, one that also captures a most defining part of my life, is this one:

He who has not first laid his foundations may be able with great ability to lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and danger to the building.


The World's Best Books

Earlier today, I stumbled on this eBook:



Featured authors and thinkers are David Hume, John Locke, Plato, Spencer Herbert, Jeremy Bentham, Edmund Burke, Niccolo Machiavelli, Karl Marx, Thomas Paine, Jean-Jacques Rosseau, Adam Smith et al.

Note the number of names above you can identify from LOST.
;)

I can't wait to devour the well-thought writing in this Project Gutenberg eBook.

Happy reading awesome folks, see you on Wednesday when I raise the curtain on the tenth story in my upcoming Counting Down the Days book.

Cheers!