Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Going Back to Basics

We all need to get back to the basics every once in a while.Whether we are aspiring writers, prolific and accomplished writers, avid readers or simply occasional readers who appreciate good writing.. in fact, even those who do not necessarily read but feel that English should be spoken the right way.

Now there is a very short book about writing that remains my top go-to resource whenever I need to get things right. It is The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jnr. and E.B. White.


It is indeed a short book, but it is very profound. It highlights what would arguably be considered the very essence of good English, both in written and spoken form.

In his On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, Stephen King describes The Elements of Style as a short book about writing that is devoid of nonsense. In his own words:
"...most books about writing are filled with bullshit. One notable exception to the bullshit rule is The Elements of Style, by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White. There is little or no detectable bullshit in that book.
...I’ll tell you right now that every aspiring writer should read The Elements of Style."

As far as writing is concerned, I do not consider myself an aspiring writer. That said, I am not prolific. Yet.
My aspiration in writing is to share valuable writing largely through my writing effort. Even better, to add value to information by writing.

Download The Elements of Style here (PDF).

Be edified.